Frequently Asked Questions

Why a Chartered Accountant?

Legally, anyone can call themselves an accountant and not have any relevant training or experience. Chartered Accountants have undertaken a period of at least three years' training with an approved organisation and passed tough examinations embracing financial management, auditing, business strategy and IT. Throughout their careers, Chartered Accountants must keep their knowledge and skills up to date or lose their designation. We are proud to be approved by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to train the next generation of Chartered Accountants.

How much is a company car?

Company cars are subject to ever-changing tax rules and legislation. We have the tools to talk you through the costs to your business and the knowledge to advise you on the best way to fund your company vehicle. Please talk to us when you are thinking about changing your car so we can help you to find the best option and avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Should I incorporate my business?

Many of our clients enjoy a lower rate of tax as a result of trading through a limited company. We will talk through all the issues and help you to find the right structure for your business. If you do decide to incorporate, our experience will make the process as painless as possible and ensure you can get on with running your business.

How can I pay my fees?

We are aware that accountancy fees are a cost to any business and strive to keep our fees as low as possible. We offer our clients a range of ways to pay fees:

  • Many of our clients prefer to smooth cash flow through the year and pay fees in advance by monthly standing order. Please ask us about this and we will make all the necessary arrangements with you.
  • We are happy accept credit and debit cards as well as payment by cheque or direct bank transfer – please contact the office for details.
  • We have an agreement with Orchard Funding Ltd to allow clients to pay fees in simple monthly instalments and would be happy to discuss this with you at any time.

Design of mileage form

With HMRC seeking to raise more revenue by challenging entries on tax returns, it is more important than ever to retain evidence of business mileage claimed for.

We can help by supplying standard or customised mileage claim forms to record the time, purpose and distance of all your mileage claims. For those with a technological mind, our new smart-phone app will allow you to record mileage as you travel and store the results for accurate record keeping.

How long should I keep my records for?

Our usual answer to this is “As long as you can!” Most business records can be disposed of after 6 full tax years have passed but it can be useful to have information about things like property or company share purchases long after this as they can help support a claim and reduce the tax bill.

I’ve not kept records up to date, can you help?

We always welcome new clients, no matter how far behind things have got. HMRC have powers to request tax returns for many years in the past and can impost surcharges and penalties on taxpayers as well as estimating your tax liability for any missing years. We have years of experience of helping people catch up with their affairs with minimal fuss, embarrassment and cost.


Article Title Link
Swipe right to see links ---->
Advice about the legal responsibilities of company officers
Advice about tax and VAT, especially the company-car tax calculator and help with tax credits
Specific advice about company-car tax and particular models of cars
Information on government services and advice for businesses, whether you are starting up or well established
General advice about employment issues and useful downloads
For a local business support and networking group (which we attend), come along to Leigh Business Partnership More information from Paul Newton on 01942 316076

Downloadable forms

PDF Title Downloadable PDF
Swipe right to see links ---->
Authorising your agent (form 64-8)
Registering for Self Assessment and National Insurance contributions if you are a self-employed sole trader (form CWF1)
Application to pay self-employed National Insurance contributions (NICs) by Direct Debit (form CA5601)
Return of Class 1A National Insurance contributions due/Return of expenses and benefits – Employer declaration (form P11D)
Car provided for the private use of an employee or a director (form P46)
Value Added Tax (VAT): Application for registration (form VAT1)
Value Added Tax: Partnership Details (form VAT2)
Application for refund of VAT (form VAT65A)
Value Added Tax: Transfer of a business as a going concern: Request for transfer of a registration number (form VAT68):

Business Hours

  • Monday - Friday 9am to 5:00pm
  • Saturday - Closed
  • Sunday - Closed

Contact our experts and find out how we can help you and your business: